Tuesday, December 20, 2011

End of the Summer Update 2011

Upon my return to Iowa and law school at summer’s end, I indulged in the annual opportunity of catching up with my school friends after a summer of “disconnect” on a Northern MN lake. I got to hear all about their summer jobs such as judicial clerking and research assistantships, classes such as Wills & Trusts and Secured Transactions, and travel to places like India, France, and even Wisconsin. Jealous was I? Not a chance. In-fact I tempered my summer update so they wouldn’t be jealous of my experience. I usually kept it short and sweet simply saying, “my summer was great, sure can’t beat the cool weather up on the lake.”

Besides, I reasoned, they wouldn’t have fully appreciated the stories describing the beautiful sunrises from the dock and sunsets from the rock. They wouldn’t have been able to smell the fresh baked cookies and homemade bread like I still can. They wouldn’t have been brave enough to attempt the Cedar Island Swim and certainly wouldn’t have had the endurance to withstand the ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy, and occasional swimmer’s itch. They wouldn’t have believed that one of our pontoons sank while tied to the dock (oops) or the descriptions of the brilliant nighttime stars. They wouldn’t have recognized the pleasure in watching the CP children skit or heard the relaxing sounds of music from the talent show. They wouldn’t have felt the intensity of the staff-camper volleyball game nor would they have understood what it is that makes a week at UniStar the best week of the year (or 14 of them in my case). I know from past experience they just wouldn’t have gotten it.

But you guys do. You guys understand what I mean when I describe the above sights, sounds, smells, and experiences. You’ve lived it firsthand and if you’re anything like me, those memories remain vibrant despite the diming of the days with the inevitable changing of seasons.

For me, both summers of memories are good, but this summer’s stand out for a few reasons. Most notable is because of the good folks I got to share it with, the ones we call “the staff.” Hardly a day went by where I didn’t hear campers comment on how great they thought the staff was. Evaluations told the same story. Professional, friendly, and helpful include just a few of the adjectives used weekly. Time and again they impressed me, and many others, with their attitude, work ethic, sense of community, and sense of humor. If you see any of these folks in the coming months, tell them you want to see them at camp again next summer! They have proven themselves great caretakers of camp, the youth and children who pass through, and that magical spirit that makes the place unique.

Secondly, I should not fail to mention the 37 volunteers that contributed well over 1250 hours helping keep those dishes washed, those cabins freshly painted brown, and the kitchen mopped. Without their aid, camp would not look or function nearly as well. Encourage folks you know, especially eligible youth, to consider volunteering next summer.

Though still short of our goal, we were successful in raising a sum of donations that surpassed last year’s contributions and drew from a wide base of supporters. Thank you for supporting us in ways that go above and beyond the required minimum. During a time when other investments can be uncertain, Camp continues to fulfill its mission as a place of personal growth, reflection, and community. In next spring’s registration materials (note, or change to “in this newsletter” if wishlist is included), look for a copy of the camp “wishlist” for other unique ways you can contribute.

By summer’s end many noticed the hours invested down on the waterfront. We either sold or removed much of the unused, unneeded, or defunct equipment hogging room in the boathouse, life jacket house, or along the shoreline, making what we do have more accessible and better maintained. Look for a few more improvements to happen next year.

This summer we hosted a very well received fellowship service each week. If interested in seeing that tradition continue, consider how you might be able to contribute next year to either aid a staff member in its preparation or lead it yourself in the absence of an available staff member.

Finally, it is you, the campers, who really made the summer as spectacular as it was. It would be a lonely and depressing Saturday night orientation meeting if it were just us staff each week. Like the closing credits of the 50th Anniversary Slide show pronounced, “thank you campers, for making camp what it is by bringing it with you.” I hope you are already considering a return next summer to help us begin the next 50 years. Word of mouth is our most effective means of marketing, so don’t fail as I did when describing the finer points of Camp UniStar to your friends and family, and help us fill it full so more can share this experience.

As I contently reflect on the summer beneath the dim glow of the desk lamp in my quiet corner of the library where I write this, I realize I could have tried to explain all of that to my friends, but regretfully there is not enough time in between classes and homework. Which reminds me, it’s probably time I pull my head out of the clouds and get back to that homework, and this other life, until the next time thoughts of summer seduce me back to Star Island again.

Happy Trails,
Greg