Sunday, June 7, 2009

June Snowstorm

After a warm and dry start, the cool June rains have begun to fall here in the Sunlight Basin. Each day this past week has dropped at least half an inch of rain and the forecast reads more of the same. The beautiful snow covered mountains surrounding us have gone into hibernation for the week as overcast skies seem to have disguised their presense. Occasionally when the clouds do retreat, a person can see the tree covered hillsides and the advancing precipitation gradient of rain to snow.


Sunday morning I had to look no further than out my wagon window to see the white stuff, six inches worth. I guess it’s a good thing we got the lawn mowed the day before. The snow continued into the afternoon and in total we received about one foot. As the sun came out later in the day, the snow seemed to retreat nearly as fast as it arrived. The pine tree above my wagon periodically dumped piles of melting snow. While writing this I noticed a small leak above my bed. The duct tape patch job I inherited isn’t quite doing the trick. For now, a pot will have to contain the leakage.


It has been my observation that Minnesotans generally like to think they’re tough for enduring long, cold, northern winters. Out here winter really does last nine months of the year and as a Minnesotan I tip my hat to those who endure these summertime snowstorms while the rest of the nation heads to the lake or beach and fires up the barbeque. After experiencing a couple snowless months this spring, the day almost had a feeling of the first snowfall of the season rather than the last. I even caught myself unintentionally humming a couple of Christmas Carols as I went about my chores. This cooler weather makes obvious the fact that most of the staff hail from warmer climates as they gravitate toward the fireplace whenever they enter the lodge.


Sunday was supposed to mark the arrival of the first guests of the seasons, the owners and extended family members of the ranch, but due to travel conditions we get a short reprieve. Many roads in the area, especially those surrounding Yellowstone NP, are temporarily closed.


I have yet to see first hand any notable wildlife, but other staff have reported seeing a black bear and a black wolf on separate occasions. With the snowfall came a grizzly bear that my neighbor reported seeing through her wagon window at three o’clock in the morning. Unfortunately, I slept through it.


On a morning hike this week I noticed plenty of fresh bear tracks on the trail up the gulch. With 38 cattle, wolves and bear hanging around is something we pay close attention to. I found the remains of one unlucky horse near the neighbor’s property. Bones were scattered over a 50 meter radius where a group of grizzlies filled their bellies last fall.


For the next couple of weeks the cattle will stay in the pastures. Starting June 16, the ranch’s National Forest lease begins. At that point, the cattle will be turned out to graze sections of the National Forest and our cowboy, Chris, will periodically check on them, traveling on horseback.
We have taken advantage of some pre season down time to prepare the woodpiles for the summer’s demand. Each cabin is heated strictly by wood stoves and with cool weather like this, we burn through the soft pine and spruce like wildfire.


After nearly two weeks at the ranch, I finally hoisted myself upon a horse. Up until now the unavailability of horses and rainy weather have made riding opportunities scarce. We went on a three hour loop around some of the prettiest country in Wyoming. We followed a trail up into the high country through the pine forests and swung down through a large meadow. At the bottom we crossed Sunlight Creek, a rushing torrent of snowmelt this time of year. I estimate the water was four to five feet deep at it’s deepest point. This was my first attempt at crossing a substantial body of water on horseback and I couldn’t help but be a little on the edge.


I prodded my medium sized horse into the cold water. He took that first step more easily than I would have. We made good time moving across the creek but after a few yards my long legs did me a disservice as the water topped my boots. A couple more lunges and we made it across to join the other dripping horses on the opposite bank. I had cold feet but no longer was it for fear of crossing the river. During our next pause in the ride, I emptied my boots and wrung out my wool socks, but wet feet were a small price to pay for the new experience, one that I hope to repeat soon.


Wrangler training began a few days ago. Despite my position as ranch hand, I am being included in the wrangler training as a fill-in incase they ever need an extra hand or a current wrangler gets injured. The wrangler position is perhaps the most coveted job at a guest ranch if not in the entire travel industry.


I have horse experience, but that experience is mostly limited to a couple of summers at a YMCA summer camp in northern Minnesota leading 10-16 year olds on 45 minute trail rides through the woods. It was a challenge enough to get these kids to keep their horses moving in the appropriate direction at an appropriate pace but required little skill beyond a loud voice, clear directions, and enough horsemanship skills to keep myself safely on a horse.


Here, when they call a person a wrangler they literally mean it. Each morning the wrangler’s day begins with a ride across the creek to the pastures to gather the herd and push them into the corral. The day ends in opposite fashion, at a gallop either pushing or leading a herd of horses eager to make tracks for greener pasture after being confined to the corrals all day.


The ranch gets half a dozen calls some days from people still looking for summer work, a regular reminder of the outside world and economy that suddenly seems distant and irrelevant. Out here safely crossing the creek, keeping the fence wires tight, and listening for the dinner bell mark our most pressing concerns.


Happy Trails.